It is recommended that you visit your dentist twice a year. Part of that visit includes your dentist offering you preventive care or preventive dental advice.
What Is Preventive Care?
Preventive care includes education, treatment and the habit of maintaining oral health. So while a patient needs to have the knowledge of ways to maintain the oral care, the regular dental exam is also part of preventive care. The purpose of the regular visit to a dentist is to ensure that if there are any issues like dental decay or malocclusion then it can be detected at an early stage. For this purpose, the dentist undertakes several steps during the visit. Preventive care is undertaken not only for adults but for children too.
Benefits of Preventive Care
Preventive care is beneficial for children and adults alike. Better oral health ensures a healthy body as a whole. Preventive care benefits an individual in several ways as it prevents:
- Enamel loss
Good oral hygiene also helps in reducing the risks for:
- Heart disease
- Respiratory disease
- Alzheimer’s disease (may delay the onset)
The Procedure for Preventive Care
Part of the procedure involved in preventive dental care is to visit the dentist. During your visit, these are the things that will take place:
- An oral exam, including x-rays
- The x-rays are read and analysed by the dentist
- Your teeth will be cleaned and any necessary teeth or gum treatments will be discussed
- Cavities are looked for, and sealants may be put in if needed.
Apart from these, patients are recommended the following as part of preventive care:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste
- Floss daily so that no food particles are lodged between the teeth
- Eat a balanced diet to ensure proper nutrients to the teeth and avoid sugar
- Rinse your mouth every time after you eat
- Drink plenty of water
All these help in preventing the build-up of plaque and bacteria that causes tooth and gum decay.
To continue to have healthy teeth book an appointment with Chats Dental now.
Preventive Dentistry Treatment
Actual Work by Our Dentists